Thursday 19 May 2016

Shangri-La – ROBERT MAXWELL****

Bewitched/Strange Music/Poinciana/That Old Black Magic/Nature Boy/Shangri-La/The Breeze & I/The Sounds Of Summer/Old Devil Moon/Magic Is The Moonlight/Tears/Its Magic

Harpist and orchestra leader Robert Maxwell achieved his only US album success with Shangri-La. Sales were boosted by the self penned title track No. 15 hit single which was featured on the Jackie Gleason TV show. It is unfortunate that lounge music of this kind is not better appreciated these days. (US:17)

"It is the instrumental version of Shangri-La, that I heard growing up on the Jackie Gleason show that I fell in love with. I wasn’t all that fond of the Letterman’s vocal cover version which always sounded a bit 'corny' to me, while the instrumental version was 'exciting'."

"Had forgotten how much I loved Robert Maxwell and his Magic Harp from my younger days. I came across him accidently and have just finished playing Shangri-La. It is going to be one that I will play over and over and over again."

"My favourite song was and still is Shangri-La. He adds a haunting touch to an already great song."

"It's a dreamy song and not often you hear one that has a stringed harp as part of an orchestra. What a nice music from the times. The piece acquires a deeper feeling when we get to know what Shangri-La means."

"I remember when this came out in '64 right in the midst of the British explosion of music with all the great and pioneering British bands. This record was played right along with them on AM radio in New York City. It stood out most prominently and I always loved this recording."

"That Old Black Magic is a true standard, written by Harold Arlen in 1942, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. This is a nice bossa nova version by Mr. Maxwell."

No comments:

Post a Comment