Wednesday 16 August 2017

The Lettermen!!!And “Live”! – THE LETTERMEN****

Up Up & Away/This Is My Song/Windy/Goin’ Out Of My Head-Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You (Medley)/Sally Was A Good Old Girl/Meditation-Quiet Nights (Medley)/If She Walked Into My Life/What Now My Love/I Believe/The Lettermen Bows

The Lettermen epitomised 1960s easy listening harmony singing. This was the group's most successful live LP and includes the medley Goin' Out Of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes Off You, a US No. 7 hit single. (US:10)

"Simply beautiful, just having Meditations-Quiet Nights is worth it alone, but then their rendition of If She Walked Into My Life sends it over the top. Some of the best music and the best harmonies ever."

"This album was released at about the same time as The Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Jimi Hendrix and the Stones, etc. It immediately went top ten and earned a gold record. Going Out Of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes Off You was released as a single, which also went top ten and earned a gold record. It still pops up occasionally on oldies radio even to this day. In 1967, The Lettermen were voted the No. 1 concert act on American college campuses. Yes, the same campuses that were becoming hot beds of left wing anti-Vietnam radicalism. So, to answer the question as to who was listening to The Lettermen in 1967, the answer is practically everybody."

"The medley Goin' Out Of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes Off You, sounds so sweet when The Lettermen sing it; and I'm really impressed. The track also demonstrates just how well The Lettermen could establish and hold a fantastic rapport with their adoring audiences." "Unlike many of the performers of their era, The Lettermen were legitimate musicians."

"The soft, romantic sounds of The Lettermen sooth the soul and lifts the heart in joy. There has never been a blending of voices as pure and as wonderful as these, and any lover of lilting, relaxing music will want this album."

"They have never taken a break from performing, and this is part of the magic that makes them a group that has staying power, with a style that is all their own."

No comments:

Post a Comment