Wednesday 9 August 2017

Reach Out – BURT BACHARACH*****

Reach Out For Me/Alfie/Bond Street/Are You There (With Another Girl)/What The World Needs Now Is Love/The Look Of Love/A House Is Not A Home/I Say A Little Prayer/The Windows Of The World/Lisa/Message To Michael

Reach Out was a second collection of some of the greatest songs of the 1960s arranged by their composer Burt Bacharach. A classic album that deserves to be much better known. (US:96 UK:52)

"Right from the superb opener Reach Out For Me it is obvious, everything is good on this album. The compositions, the musicians, the sound. Every instrument so upfront and clearly audible. There is no irony or lounge lizardry necessary to enjoy the music. It is never cheesy. It is always classy and sincere pop music with a lot of sugar coating. The greatest quality is the general upbeatness of the music which almost forces you into a good world loving mood."

"This album has always captivated me with its rich detailed orchestrations, heartfelt melodies and varied tonal colours. I can't think of a track on here I don't like. I'd have loved to know who played on these recordings, the musicianship is nothing short of top-flight. What seals it for me is the fact that without out-front vocals, Burt's music really comes to life and speaks for itself. Classic stuff."

"His music seems to weave a spell on you putting you into a nostalgic dream like state admiring the beauty of the music. Although many performers have adapted and covered his work, I've always enjoyed his personal arrangements of his own music the best. I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to his trilogy of albums. Very highly recommended.”

"Yes, this is the first album anyone should buy to listen to the stupendous talent of Burt Bacharach in its full glory. Every track is delectable ear-candy, a bouncy, breezy, cool piece of the sixties. Some of this music was from movies, like the rollicking Bond Street and The Look Of Love which gives glorious spotlight to the brass section of the studio musicians."

"Let's face the reality, no one does music like Burt Bacharach. His style is unique, as you can prove by listening to this album. I've been a fan of his since my childhood and I can tell you - he's the best, and Reach Out is one of his finest albums."

No comments:

Post a Comment