Friday 18 August 2017

Hello I’m Dolly – DOLLY PARTON***

Dumb Blond/Your Ole Handy Man/I Don’t Wanna Throw Rice/Put It Off Until Tomorrow/I Wasted My Tears/ Something Fishy/Fuel To The Flame/The Giving & The Taking/I’m In No Condition/The Company You Keep/I’ve Lived My Life/The Little Things

Hello I’m Dolly was the appropriately titled debut album from country star Dolly Parton. Her homespun appearance on the cover is a long way from the look she would later adopt.

“The charismatic Dolly Parton came on strong with these early sessions for Monument. At least half the songs are among her classics, while the rest of the material is hardly weak. The pedal steel playing is fantastic.”

“The personality that Parton brought to her material is here in full force. Dumb Blonde and Something Fishy are her wisecracking, smart-cookie side, while The Company You Keep and I've Lived My Life show how adept she is at cramming country songs full of moralizing while providing the listener with plenty of enjoyment.”

“Its incredibly sweet, spunky debut from Parton who sounds like everybody's favourite baby sister, and incredibly for the times, she wrote or co-wrote ten of twelve songs here, its all her own work.”

“Because this is hard core country, the music is either assertive argument with no good lover or tearjerkers, and Parton swims like a fish in the sea here, to which she really brings her personality. I love the uptempo material the best but she is equally good at ballads. This album would later get the attention of Porter Wagoner who will add Parton to his TV shows and her star will burn even brighter.”

“Even at this stage of her career you can hear she's a genius. How can you not like Dolly? Best song - I'm Only 18.”

“Dolly Parton's first album was on the independent label Monument. This was before she had met Porter Wagoner and developed the Dolly look. It isn't surprising Dolly became the superstar she is today. There are some clunkers since this is a first time, but overall it's pretty good. She shows herself as a talented songwriter here. Dumb Blonde and Something Fishy are catchy numbers too.”

“Overall, it’s hard to find a better debut effort than this one. Strong vocals and material makes for great listening, and that’s what the listener gets here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment