Friday 4 August 2017

Gentle On My Mind – GLEN CAMPBELL****

Gentle On My Mind/Catch The Wind/Its Over/Bowling Green/Just Another Man/You’re My World/The World I Used To Know/Without Her/Mary In The Morning/Love Me As Though There Were No Tomorrow/Cryin’

Gentle On My Mind was the commercial breakthrough album for celebrated country singer Glen Campbell. The title track won a Grammy award but the big hit in the UK was for the Dean Martin version. (US:5)

"Gentle On My Mind is basically an orchestrated folk-rock record. It's much less twangy than most of Campbell's albums from the period, and includes some excellent pure-pop covers, alongside more country-oriented material. Although the title track was the only hit, the album holds together beautifully and is easily among the best records of Campbell's career. As the least country-oriented of his early albums, it's also an excellent starting point for newcomers to his earlier work."

"One of Campbell's favourite albums, Gentle On My Mind boasts great production and sound quality, and though there are no Jimmy Webb songs here, the others do very well, especially Campbell's cover versions of country and pop tunes: Catch The Wind, Bowling Green and It's Over by Donovan, The Everly Brothers, and Jimmie Rodgers, respectively."

"Gentle On My Mind is certainly one of Glen Campbell's best albums. Glen, who is a guitarist/songwriter as well as a very gifted singer, is in excellent form throughout the album with his rich tenor voice. The musical arrangements enhance the natural beauty of these songs, too. The quality of the sound is excellent."

"One tune ain't no album. Yes, Gentle On My Mind is one great and awesome tune and while Bowling Green and The World I Used To Know are a couple of more gems, the rest just doesn't do it for me."

"Glen Campbell remains an exceptional multi-talented artist; and it's no wonder with albums like this one. This is a must-have for any Glen Campbell fan; and newcomers just discovering Glen would do well to add this to their collection."

"Most people know Gentle On My Mind, but Bowling Green is a great little pop country song. Nice selection of covers here, including Donovan and Nilsson."

No comments:

Post a Comment