Wednesday 10 January 2018

Growing Concern – GROWING CONCERN***

Hard Hard Year/Edge Of Time/Tomorrow Has Been Cancelled/A Boy I Once Knew Well/All I Really Want/Mister You’re A Better Man Than I/What Kind Of Life/Other Side Of Life/I Know A Girl/Sit Down I Think I Love You

Self titled sole album from the West Coast psychedelic pop group Growing Concern. Their music was a blend of folk-rock, pop and psychedelia. They never managed to emerge from complete obscurity.

“Very positive sunshine pop with some psychedelic influences. Very good vocalists and the music grooves in a nice way. Some of the lyrics are also very well thought and written in a bit poetic way at times as well.”

“What sets this apart for me is the male/female vocals - sometimes harmonising, more often as backup to each other. Some really cute songs too, notably the opener Hard Hard Year, A Boy I Once Knew Well and closer Sit Down I Think I Love You - indeed opening and closing the set with the female vocals seems to have been a touch of genius. A cut above most of your 1968 psych-pop.”

“Mainstream Records had some of the finest artists of the 60s psychedelic era. In my opinion, Growing Concern were one of those artists and their eponymous debut album among the finest psychedelic records ever. Nearly every song here is just perfect in my humble opinion.”

“I'm not usually that impressed about very melodic psychedelic pop albums with short tracks. So it is always nice to find a basic psychedelic pop album that pleases my ears. Even if this is a mostly psych album the sunshine pop elements are also very clear.”

“A classic psych LP on the Mainstream label, male-female vocals, fuzz guitars and psychedelic vibes throughout. One of the best Californian psychedelic groups.” “Terrific album. What always struck me the most about it was the cynical, sad lyrics over ultra-catchy sunshine pop. A unique combination.”

“Growing Concern are made up of five boys and two girls, who complement one another beautifully. The album is full of pleasant female and male vocal harmonies with melodic guitar and organ work. Side two has several good covers with individual interpretations.”

No comments:

Post a Comment