Tuesday 9 January 2018

Dusty…Definitely – DUSTY SPRINGFIELD****

Ain’t No Sun Since You’ve Been Gone/Take Another Piece Of My Heart/Another Night/My Dream Merchant/I Can’t Give Back The Love I Feel For You/Love Power/This Girl’s In Love With You/I Only Wanna Laugh/Who(Will Take My Place)/I Think Its Going To Rain Today/Morning/Second Time Around

Dusty Springfield is recognised as Britain's greatest female vocalist. On Dusty Definitely she demonstrates her versatility by turning her hand to pop, soul and middle of the road numbers. (UK:30)

"Classy, sophisticated, cool, in total control. She's all of that and more. Lately I've been coming back to her. She sure beats the Britneys and the Pinks of this world. This is fine, fine album with superior songs and tasteful arrangements."

"Dusty Definitely has been obscured by the deserved high praise lavished upon Dusty In Memphis, but Dusty Definitely is an astonishingly varied and accomplished set of songs in its own right. From the rousing Tamla-Motownish opener Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone, the clatteringly ear-splitting beat of Love Power, the husky-toned This Girl's In Love With You, the spine-tingling sadness of Randy Newman's I Think It's Going To Rain Today to the album's warm closer, the sultry Second Time Around, Dusty Definitely is a maddeningly beautiful set."

"The overall sound of the album is typical of what one expected to hear from Dusty in the mid to late sixties, except that this album rocks a little harder than its predecessors. On an album of such a consistently high quality, it would be pointless to pick out favourites."

"A really solid album with no obvious weakness. If you're a serious fan of Dusty's music, you'll love this album."

"Dusty Definitely contains some of Springfield's finest performances. The album as a whole cannot be considered as completely successful, because it is quite erratic in genre. The spread from pure soul to mainstream pop simply feels too wide. Nevertheless the album definitely belongs among Springfield's most interesting."

"Of all of her albums (and I have them all), this is the one I listen to most often. Partly, I think, because it has more variety than the Memphis album, sublime though that is. Buy it, borrow it or steal it - but hear it."

No comments:

Post a Comment