Wednesday 13 December 2017

It’s a Long Way Down – THE FALLEN ANGELS***

Poor Old Man/A Horn Playing On My Thin Wall/Something You Can Hide In/Tell Me A Story/Silent Garden/Look To The Sun/One Of The Few Ones Left/I Really Love My Mother/Look At The Wind/Didn’t I/It’s A Long Way Down/I’ll Drive You From My Mind

It’s A Long Way Down was the second and final album from the Washington DC psychedelic garage band The Fallen Angels. This LP is considered to be the stronger of the two.

“Most of these fairly-unknown 'holy grail' type 60s psych records tend to fall off on the second side, but to my ears this one actually gets better as it goes on, delivering a string of absolute stunners with the last four tracks.”

“The music is mostly psychedelic pop with elements of baroque pop, psych rock and folk too, but this record isn't utterly psychedelic as some of the songs are pretty much basic psych pop. There are many songs that I can call perfect. The rest is pretty fine material too.”

“Decent music but insipid vocals, substandard and amateurish songwriting, and wholly lacking in the main thing I look for in psychedelic pop - soaring melody.”

“I have been checking out a lot of 'lost masterpieces' with mostly great disappointment, but this is the seemingly rare real deal. Don't understand why this isn't more highly regarded compared with some of the more half baked psychedelic albums that create such large myths.”

“Not all tracks are even psychedelic. Some are merely mainstream vocal pop. Some tracks are imbued with folk flavour. But most are crafted in such a way as to implant a seed in your brain that will grow long after you've stopped listening, and leave you scratching your head and wondering where you heard the tune that refuses to leave your consciousness.”

“Being a big fan of 60s psych and psych pop, this is one of the few LPs in my favourite genre that is from beginning to end excellent. No weak spots to be found.”

“One of the best US psych LPs out there. Some real dazzling songs like One Of The Few Ones Left, but there is not a bad track on this album. It definitely deserves the hype it gets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment