Wednesday 4 October 2017

Welcome To My Love – NANCY WILSON****

In The Heat Of The Night/May I Come In/Angel Eyes/It Never Entered My Mind/I’m Always Drunk In San Francisco/Theme From Hotel/For Once In My Life/You Don’t Know Me/Why Try To Change Me Now/Welcome To My Love/Ode To Billy Joe

Jazz vocalist Nancy Wilson was very popular with album buyers in the mid 1960s, but by the end of the decade, with changing musical tastes, she was rather out of fashion. Despite good reviews this explains why Welcome To My Love struggled on the US album chart. (US:115)

“I got this album purely for the version of Ode To Billy Joe which I think is possibly one of the best cover versions I can think of. The rest of the album is a very nice and mellow vocal work.”

“This LP is really one of Nancy's best, not just on Capitol but her entire career. I enjoyed listening to the added edge and smokiness that Nancy just oozes on this recording. What makes this a treasure is not only the song selection, but the acquired wisdom Nancy emotes in her voice. She really attacks each song and gives it an extra edge and bite to make it stand out.”

“Nancy gives one memorable performance after another. You are unlikely to forget her cut of Ode To Billie Joe, this is the bluesiest version I've heard of the song.”

“This is one of Nancy Wilson's best albums. All the tunes are slow, sensitive ballads, which might become a drag in other hands, but with Wilson we only want more of the same. Her warm, breathy voice works marvels here, and she adds a bluesy touch that is terrific.”

“Nancy Wilson has the ability to dazzle your mind with just a whisper of her voice. Feast your ears to a sassy opening song In The Heat Of The Night. Experience the longing of Nancy's voice in Angel Eyes. Be amazed at Nancy's flawless timing in the jazzy I'm Always Drunk In San Francisco. Many singers have sung it, but nobody can sing For Once In My Life any finer. Nancy's vocal jazz style is second to none.”

“Nancy Wilson is a legendary singing wonder who came completely into her own back in the great musical sixties with the release of the smouldering masterpiece Welcome To My Love, filled with wondrous performances performed to perfection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment