Sunday 8 October 2017

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 – SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES*****

Going To A Go Go/The Tracks Of My Tears/I Second That Emotion/Ooh Baby Baby/My Girl Has Gone/Come On Do The Jerk/Whole Lot Of Shakin’ In My Heart/The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage/(Come ‘Round Here) I’m The One You Need/More Love/Choosey Beggar/Save Me

This second greatest hits package from Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, is considered to be just as good as the first and an essential purchase for sixties soul music fans. (US:7)

"Smokey Robinson may have been the greatest songwriter of his era. No one else was coming up with such splendidly clever turns of phrase. Certainly, no one was able to combine the writing and the beautiful voice as he did. Back in the day, he was the one to sing the young sisters into a swoon. When someone put Smokey's Ooh Baby Baby or More Love on the record player, the party was going to get serious."

"Smokey was one of the most amazing songwriters of the 20th century, and his best work was with his group, The Miracles. And we can't forget about Smokey's pristine falsetto voice sailing over the music, with the tight harmonies of Bobby Rogers, Ronnie White, Warren 'Pete' Moore and Claudette Rogers Robinson holding it down in the background."

"This LP took me back into the past, to a time in my life that the music, the harmony, and the words of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles were as essential to me as bread and butter. This music made my day brighter then and still does now."

"Robinson's voice evokes a visceral, emotional response. It has an ethereal beauty that sounds more suited to heaven than earth. The precision of the back-up harmonies and arrangements makes for an effect that is uniformly appealing, and genuine. This music is never overtly clever or self-conscious - it is masterfully crafted and sincere."

"The Tracks Of My Tears was a definitive Smokey Robinson composition which is quite breathtaking with its sweeping, tempo-shifting musical arrangements where the fantastic range of harmonies all gel so divinely with each other. I Second That Emotion was a mid-beat number where Smokey's cool, sensual voice oozes such genuine emotion."

No comments:

Post a Comment