Sunday 22 October 2017

Goin’ Out Of My Head – THE LETTERMEN****

Never My Love/Anyone Who Had A Heart/Holly/Our Day Will Come/I Wanna Be Free/The End Of The World/The Look Of Love/Love Is Blue-Greensleeves (Medley)/Spooky/By The Time I Get To Phoenix/Goin Out Of My Head- Can’t Take My Eyes Off You (Medley)

Easy listening harmony group The Lettermen epitomised the adult MOR market of the late 1960s, unfairly dismissed as kitsch by the rock generation. Goin' Out Of My Head features the US No. 7 title track hit medley. (US:13)

"The Lettermen's smooth harmonies, supported by lush arrangements of new and reworked tunes, earned them a diverse following among the music buying public, giving them the top billing for adult contemporary vocal groups of the 60s."

"Not many Brits know about The Lettermen - they had just one minor UK hit single and no UK hit albums - but they were very popular in their American homeland, where they were consistently successful in both the singles and album charts, especially during the sixties. Smooth ballads were their trademark sound."

"This album is perfect for any romantic occasion, as it can be the soundtrack for a candlelight dinner or cuddling by the fireplace on a cold winter's night."

"I think this album is musical comfort food. I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, but the soothing and smooth three-voice harmonies, along with lyrics and melodies I am already acquainted with, are great pick-me-ups on depressing rainy afternoons."

"Throughout the 60s, The Lettermen continued to place singles and albums high onto the pop charts in spite of the assault of hard-edged, teenybopper and British invasion music during the era."

"The title song is a perfect mash-up of two different love songs only The Lettermen can give. Certainly one of the most clever and catchy arrangements in pop history - and sung with smooth sensuousness by The Lettermen. The 60s were truly the golden age of pop songs. People don't know how to write songs like this anymore - more the pity for the listening audience that is for sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment