Saturday 11 June 2016

The Best Of – MICHAEL HOLLIDAY****

The Yellow Rose Of Texas/Nothin’ to Do/Old Cape Cod/Palace Of Love/I’ll Always Be In Love With You/Ten Thousand Miles/Hot Diggity/Stairway Of Love/Starry Eyed/ My Heart Is An Open Book/Dream Talk/The Gal With The Yaller Shoes/In Love/The Story Of My Life

The Best Of Michael Holiday was the first compilation album from the popular fifties British MOR vocalist whose voice sounded similar to that of Bing Crosby. His musical style had become outdated at the start of the new decade.

“This LP brings together a lot of his best material, and most of the hits he had in Britain and there were quite a few of them. On disc he could be warm, romantic, humorous and swing as well. I would highly recommend this LP to anyone who wants to find out more about this singer who made such a big impact on the British popular music scene."

“I was a teenager in the late 50s well into rock & roll. However there was a British crooner with a wonderful voice that I really enjoyed. He achieved two number one hits in the UK charts with The Story Of My Life and Starry Eyed despite the overwhelming power of the rockers. On this disc there are all his other major hits including Stairway Of Love.”

“When I heard the LP, I realised that he is very much the English version of Bing Crosby. He even sings quite a few of the songs that I've heard Bing sing.”

“Such a great voice. Not fair to dub him the British Bing Crosby but it does describe him well. Great tracks.”

“Representing a good selection of this rather overshadowed artist once labelled the British Bing Crosby. Fans of this style of music will truly be able to immerse themselves in the rich tones. Thoroughly enjoyable.”

“My guess is that Michael's success was largely limited to his native Britain, many of his recordings being covers of American songs. Michael had a smooth, baritone voice that he used effectively to sing all types of song.”

“When Michael Holliday first came onto the scene, he was hailed as the new Bing Crosby, and there was a remarkable similarity in their voices. Michael tended, however, to sing the more popular songs of the day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment