Friday 1 April 2016

I’ll Cry If I Want To – LESLEY GORE***

Its My Party/Cry Me A River/Cry/Just Let Me Cry/Cry & You Cry Alone/No More Tears/Judy’s Turn To Cry/I Understand/I Would/Misty/What Kind Of Fool Am I/The Party’s Over

Teenage popster Lesley Gore achieved her biggest LP success with I'll Cry If I Want To. Includes the US No. 1 Its My Party, plus the top five Judy's Turn To Cry. Compilation CDs of Lesley's releases during the years 1963-67 can be strongly recommended. The final extract below on 'catchy' music is a particularly apt comment on 1960s pop hits. (US:24)

"I wish this style of music would come back in the mainstream world. I don't know why, but I dance to Its My Party all the time with my friends." "I always thought what a funny song Its My Party was and now that I see how sad it actually is, I like it even more."

"Even in her early teens, this girl could sing. A gifted and talented singer with a superb mastery over her voice. I feel that in today's market, she can show these new arrivals what it is all about."

"Lesley Gore embodied the teen angst of growing up and navigating the turbulent waters of young love."

"We'll surely never see this blend of youth and innocence ever again, but it certainly is nice to know we can go back and remind ourselves what was great about the 60s."

"A lot of people considered her music to be bubblegum. Nevertheless, she had, a big, beautiful pure voice, with a lovely, soaring upper register, and a dynamic delivery."

"Its My Party is 'catchy' music. Back then, when a song came out that was a big hit, it ruminated in your head and everyone could hum it or sing it. Today the songs don't do that, they're forgettable. No one is humming anything. The music is too hodgepodge and all over the map, or just one or two lyrics repeated forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment