Tuesday 15 December 2015

I Left My Heart In San Francisco – TONY BENNETT*****

I Left My Heart In San Francisco/Once Upon A Time/Tender Is The Night/Smile/Love For Sale/Take A Chance On Love/Candy Kisses/Have I Told You Lately/Rules Of The Road/Marry Young/I’m Always Chasing Rainbows/ The Best Is Yet To Come

Jazz crooner Tony Bennett had been popular since the early 1950s but his biggest success came with the Grammy winning song I Left My Heart In San Francisco, which became his signature tune. (US:5 UK:13)

“This is, perhaps, the definitive Tony Bennett recording which includes many of the songs most associated with him. The title track, I Left My Heart In San Francisco, sets the pace but it just gets better. Smile, in particular, is done with a pathos and empathy that any artist would envy. It is a masterwork. Much of this album is dated in that the songs are of a bygone era. This one is a must for Tony Bennett fans.”

“Bennett is obviously in the top realms of the great crooners of the 50s and 60s and this album has his signature tune to lead off with and Tony sings it brilliantly.”

I Left My Heart In San Francisco is Tony Bennett's most famous song, and this album is probably his best. It kicks off with the fantastic 1-2-3 punch of the title track, Once Upon A Time and Tender Is The Night. All classics. But there is not a bad tune on this album. It's really a must have if you are at all interested in this genre.”

“This album is known largely for the title track, and Bennett's version is the definitive one. However, it manages to pack in another signature Bennett song, The Best Is Yet To Come as well as great versions of Tender Is The Night, Love For Sale and other standards.”

“Beginning with the title ballad that became his signature anthem, and concluding with The Best Is Yet To Come, this hit album captures Tony Bennett at the peak of his popularity, in lush orchestral arrangements. This is Bennett the belter at his best, his big voice made to sound even more expansive with that hallmark early-'60s echo behind it.”

“This is a great collection of some of Tony's biggest songs from the early 1960s when his voice was even more perfect than it always has been. The title song, his signature, never sounded better and the album is made up of first-rate songs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment