Wednesday 14 January 2015

Sings His Big 15 – PAUL ANKA*****

Diana/Put Your Head On My Shoulder/Crazy Love/Don’t Gamble With Love/I Love You Baby/Midnight/Don’t Ever Leave Me/Its Time To Cry/Lonely Boy/(All Of A Sudden) My Heart Sings/I Miss You So So/You Are My Destiny/ That’s Love/Puppy Love/Adam & Eve

Teenager Paul Anka launched his career with the worldwide smash Diana. Although he never quite reached the same height again, between 1957-62 he was a regular visitor to both the US and UK singles chart. The compilation of 1950s singles Sings His Big 15 stayed in the US album chart for nearly three years. (US:4)

“It is great to hear the early songs in their ABC Paramount original versions, rather than the RCA re-do's a few years later. Don Costa's orchestra is there in all its glory, conjuring up all my old teenage memories.”

“One of the things that distinguished Paul Anka from the vast majority of his contemporaries was the fact that he wrote most of the songs he recorded during his heyday in the late 1950s and early 1960s.” ,p> “Anka's early recordings for ABC-Paramount truly captured the flavour of that era. Anyone who grew up during those years has a very special place in their hearts for such classics as Put Your Head On My Shoulder, Lonely Boy and of course his 1957 summertime smash Diana.”

“What can be said about Paul Anka? All of his music is just the best. I never get tired of listening to him and this LP has many of his best songs.”

“I would highly recommend this collection to anyone who loves Paul Anka's music. He's one of the best in the history of music.”

“Paul Anka's songs have endured the test of time because of his great ability to sing beautifully and to make songs into small stories that capture the heart. There truly are a number of highlights on this album. I really like Diana, this ballad rocks as Paul sings his heart out. He never sings a superfluous note and the musical arrangements have great special effects. Put Your Head On My Shoulder, a very romantic, slow dance ballad, features Paul crooning as only a real pro can; and the beat is great. This is the kind of music they just don't make anymore. I wish they did. This is one of the best voices of all time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment