Wednesday 21 January 2015

In Person – RAY CHARLES****

The Night Time Is The Right Time/What’d I Say/Yes Indeed/The Spirit Feel/Frenesi/Drown In My Own Tears/Tell The Truth

In Person was the first live album from the R & B star Ray Charles, recorded at the Herndon stadium, Atlanta in 1959. The early 1960s was the period when he was at the height of his popularity and critical acclaim. (US:13)

“This is a live concert album from 1959, and despite the slightly imperfect recording quality, it is an astonishing performance. It's worth it just for Ray's recording of Drown In My Own Tears, but most of the other cuts are great too.”

“This is Ray at his early best, and do I wish I could have been at that concert. My only reservations about this album have to do with its length and with the rather long, dull The Spirit Feel. This is one of a handful of fantastic early Ray Charles recordings. Don't pass it by.”

“Why is this music so good? Ray Charles is a vocalist unlike any other. He does not 'sing' a song, he communicates the song to you soul to soul. He drives it into your brain. The tunes on this record are his full effect masterpieces. These include uptempo numbers like What'd I Say, hard driving slow blues like The Night Time Is The Right Time, and the slow show stoppers like Drown In My Own Tears.”

“Of course Ray Charles is a wonderful singer with the ability to really emote and get inside a song. But above all he is an outstanding piano player, and backed by a tight band on these live sets it really allows him to stretch out and show off his stuff.”

“No wonder Ray Charles was a popular concert draw. With tracks such as these you get spirited performances of Charles doing the songs that established his reputation.”

“He doesn't sing about moving, he moves me. This live recording is high intensity rock 'n' roll, blues, jazz, and a whole lotta soul.” “The show was and remains the best I've ever heard. The performance by Ray Charles, his band and The Raylettes was without equal. The energy of What'd I Say, Tell The Truth and Night Time Is The Right Time are incredible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment