Wednesday 25 April 2018

The Best Of – SAM & DAVE****

Hold On I’m Comin’/When Something Is Wrong With My Baby/You Don’t Know Like I Know/May I Baby/Soul Man/Soothe Me/I Thank You/I Take What I Want/Wrap It Up/You Don’t Know What You Mean To Me/Small Portion Of Your Love/You Got Me Hummin’/Can’t You Find Another Way (Of Doin’ It)/Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody

First compilation album from one of the more dynamic soul acts of the sixties, who never quite made the commercial breakthrough into mainstream popular music awareness. (US:87)

“Sam + Dave = rhythmic soul music. All song interpretations of the duo are very rousing and especially danceable. Here are the best of them, like the groovy mover Hold On I'm Comin', the genre defining Soul Man or the smooth balladesque When Something Is Wrong With My Baby."

“Sam and Dave are not the first name to spring to mind to the general public when asked to name a great soul act, but they released as many classic soul tunes as anyone. This 1969 compilation remains definitive and showcases the finest soul duo of the 60s at the very peak of their powers.”

“The duo creates an exciting synergy that exudes an energy I've yet to hear in any other soul music. Their music is pure fun to listen to. Every song is like a celebration. It's everything soul should be.”

“A wonderful collection of all the highly energetic and soulful hits of Sam & Dave presented in chronological order and in their original form. If you like your R & B with a heavy gospel influence and performed with a wealth of appropriate confidence, then The Best Of Sam & Dave is right up your alley.”

“Show me an album that packs more punch and delivers more soulful energy than The Best Of Sam & Dave, because it such an album exists, I'd like to know.”

“You know what they call soul singing nowadays? Nothing like these guys, who work in tandem, sometimes harmonizing but often switching off on verses, and on very well written soul jams. Simple lyrics, direct to the heart, and stomping with rhythm. The LP has all the songs that received air-play during the duo’s heyday and some I never heard. If you are a true fan of Memphis soul, this is a must have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment