Tuesday 3 April 2018

Help Yourself – TOM JONES****

Help Yourself/I Can’t Break The News To Myself/The Bed/Isadora/Set Me Free/I Get Carried Away/The House/ So Afraid/If I Promise/If You Go Away/My Girl Maria/All I Can Say Is Goodbye

Welsh vocalist Tom Jones was in peak form in the late sixties, equally at home with pop ballads and country numbers. The jaunty title track from Help Yourself was a UK No. 5 hit single. (US:5 UK:4)

"This album is a mixture of uplifting vibes and mellow ballads. The combination of tunes and Tom's voice really makes this album appealing. I Can't Break The News To Myself is such a fabulous song that really gets the mood going. There is a fair share of 'ballad-type' songs, which really bring out Tom's amazing talent to the full. Overall, the album is truly brilliant."

"This 1968 album, stands as one of the most popular releases in the Tom Jones catalogue. From the bouncy, salsa feel of the hit single title track, to the heart wrenching sadness of the classic If You Go Away, Jones is at his romantic best on an album that steers towards mainstream pop, and away from the rock and roll or country influenced sounds of his previous recordings."

"This album by Tom is one of his best. Every song is powerful and memorable with a wide range of emotions from one song to the next. Help Yourself is carefree and flirting, while So Afraid is sombre and doubting. In the cocky, but sincere If I Promise, Tom vows, 'to be a good boy, and never hurt you anymore'. His voice soars into the sky on Set Me Free, and then sinks to the depths of despair on If You Go Away."

"This album is from the 60s when Tom Jones had the voice of his time. This album shouts out the power of this special Welsh voice, a once in a lifetime treat. From the popular Help Yourself to the heartfelt Break The News, this album will bring you in and you'll never want out. A true classic.

"I had this album and played it as a kid until it wore out. The songs are great and showcase the wonderful vocal talent of a great performer."

"This is a great collection to have. The song, If I Promise makes me want to salsa dance all over the house; while If You Go Away can bring me too instant tears. I can't forget one of my very favourite's, Help Yourself. A must have to any Tom Jones collection."

No comments:

Post a Comment