Wednesday 4 April 2018

Live At The Copa – THE TEMPTATIONS***

Get Ready/You’re My Everything/I Truly Truly Believe/I Wish It Would Rain/For Once In My Life/I Could Never Love Another/Hello Young Lovers/With These Hands/Swanee/The Impossible Dream/Please Return Your Love To Me/(I Know) I’m Losing You

Live At The Copa marked one of the first concert appearances of Dennis Edwards in place of David Ruffin, and was recorded at the Copacabana in New York in 1968. (US:15)

"Motown was fond of promoting its groups as not just soul singers but as all-round entertainers. Thus this mediocre live album, which manages to include supper club classics such as The Impossible Dream and even Swanee. And for a group with an enviable list of hits, very few are included here. The sound isn't that great either. Not quite as bad as The Supremes' live albums from the same period, but not good either."

"I'm not overly impressed with this Copa performance. They just don't seem to be enjoying themselves much. Which may be a reflection of what was going on in the group at this time."

"While this performance doesn't have the same live feel as Temptations Live!, it is still a great show. I believe it was Den's first with the group. He slides right in. He doesn't try to be David, he's Dennis and he was on fire. I love the improvisation stuff he does during I Could Never Love Another."

"The set mixed familiar Motown material with Broadway standards popular with the sophisticates of the day (an audience being wooed by Berry Gordy), and mostly taken from their In A Mellow Mood album. The recording is jinxed with technical shortcomings, mostly frequent microphone clickings, and a badly distorting overload during I Wish It Would Rain, with some very clumsy edits between songs."

"David Ruffin is history as a Temptation, and his replacement Dennis Edwards shows his stuff on this live recording of a Copacabana performance. This is on a par with their previous live album, Temptations Live. They successfully combine their hits with songs from the In A Mellow Mood LP, making for an entertaining, well-rounded set. Eddie Kendricks was never in finer voice than here, showing his ability to sing standards. Edwards' rendition of The Impossible Dream is appealing to even the most die-hard fans of soul music."

No comments:

Post a Comment