Saturday 12 August 2017

Unequalled – THE EQUALS***

Hold Me Closer/Can’t Find A Girl To Love Me/Baby Come Back/Ding Dong/My Life Ain’t Easy/I’m A Poor Man/I Won’t Be There/You Lied Just To Save Your Name/To The Church/Fire/Hey Baby Its Time You Got Going/Can’t You Hear That Melody

The Equals were a British multiracial soul tinged pop group who enjoyed some UK singles success in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Unequalled contains the UK No. 1 hit Baby Come Back. Band member Eddy Grant would enjoy solo success during the eighties. (UK:10)

"Fairly typical, soul driven, horn-backed, vocal pop. Unexceptional, but with a decent amount of period flavour."

"I've been a fan of Baby Come Back for a long while now but never felt the urge to explore the rest of their catalogue thinking they were probably a one hit wonder type band. I was wrong. Based on this album The Equals are well worth the time of anyone who enjoys quality 60s pop, with a twist. What's the twist? Not really sure - it has an exotic flavour that I can't quite put my finger on - Eddy Grant's responsible for it I suppose, but whatever it is, I like it, and I'm looking forward to tracking down more of their music. Fun."

"It's all good, but to my ears the stand out tracks are the rock numbers. Material such as the blazing My Life Ain't Easy and I'm A Poor Man would give any self-respecting rock band a run for their money."

"The Equals were led by the very talented Eddy Grant. Their music is certainly not bubblegum pop, but well written and crafted songs that come over very simply with different influences i.e soul, psychedelia, pop, rock all rolled into one. You certainly have a mish-mash of tunes here and they are great quality."

"This UK combo is best remembered for their 1968 light ska hit Baby Come Back. The Equals turned out pop, ska and soul, and dipped into the psychedelic enhanced rock and funk territory that Norman Whitfield pioneered on Motown."

No comments:

Post a Comment