Saturday 30 July 2016

I Don’t Want To Be Hurt Anymore – NAT KING COLE****

I Don’t Want To Be Hurt Anymore/You’re Crying On My Shoulder/Only Yesterday/I’m Alone Because I Love You/ Don’t You Remember/You’re My Everything/I Don’t Want To See Tomorrow/Brush Those Tears From Your Eyes/Was That The Human Thing To Do/ Go If You’re Going/Road To Nowhere/I’m All Cried Out

Legendary jazz influenced vocalist and pianist Nat King Cole achieved his last US top twenty album during his lifetime with I Don't Want To Be Hurt Anymore. The title track just missed the US singles top twenty. (US:18)

"What a joy to hear that magnificent voice of Nat King Cole on this album. It makes one realize more and more what a treasure we had in that man. I would rate this as prime Nat King Cole. Some would refer to it as 'easy listening' but I would call it just great music performed by one of the industry's giants."

"The orchestras and choruses on all sides here frame Nat's voice perfectly, and considering this album came late in the game for Nat, he is in spectacular form. One of my favourite performers ever. Listen and enjoy."

"There should have been more like this, but this is it, so cherish the moment. Listening to Nat though, is always great; he had a tenderness in his voice, completely flawless. He could never deliver a bad tune, his style and signature of making a song his own has never been duplicated."

"The one and only master of interpretation, no other singer in the business had the warmth that this man gave during a performance or recording session. All Nat King Cole fans should take the opportunity to acquaint themselves with this almost forgotten album. Contains none of his great hits, but is so full of beautiful singing and trenchant interpretations that for me it tops his wonderful, more popular albums. Cole conveys loss and loneliness with a wistfulness that even Sinatra had trouble matching."

"Continues the country/western/folk theme with arranger and conductor Ralph Carmichael at the helm. Before I listened to it, I was hoping for maybe another jazzy Cole/Shearing-like project . There are some songs that are worth listening to, such as I Don't Want To Be Hurt Anymore. The other songs will have to grow on me"

No comments:

Post a Comment