Thursday 8 September 2022

I Am Woman - HELEN REDDY***

Peaceful/I Am Woman/This Masquerade/I Didn't Mean To Love You/Where Is My Friend/And I Love You So/ What Would They Say/Where Is The Love/Hit The Road Jack/The Last Blues Song

Before the release of I Am Woman Australian born vocalist Helen Reddy was relatively little known. The dynamic title track single was well timed as it became the anthem for the burgeoning feminist movement, which helped propel it to No.1 in the US singles chart. (US:14)

“The song choices are great and Helen is in fine voice, but the album is over-produced and it occurs to me that Helen's voice works best for a certain type of song. The combination doesn't quite work here; it's not a bad album but it doesn't stand out either.”

“Reddy's voice is like shower of spring rain: clear, warm and so refreshing. This album was famous for the title song and besides this there are some other fine pop covers and originals, all produced with that recognisable 1970s sound, and sung with grace by Reddy who has rarely sounded better than here.”

“A great collection of sophisticated adult contemporary tunes and sumptuous ballads, highlights by the feminist anthem I Am Woman with songs written by some of the best songwriters of the day.”

“The majority of the non single tracks are absolute gems by top notch songwriters of the time.”

I Am Woman was the anthem for women in the '70s and a huge song. The album also has Peaceful which was a hit, and the cover And I Love You So. It would probably be a shorter list of singers that hadn't covered it. She also does a great version of Hit The Road Jack.”

I Am Woman, provided the American breakthrough that Helen was looking for via its title track. Radio stations (run mostly by men) showed no interest in playing the single but Helen performed the song on a lot of TV shows and thereafter women kept requesting the song.”

“Nobody has done And I Love You So quite as beautifully as Helen Reddy. It was the right voice for the right song, with just the right accompaniment. Definitely worth the price of the album.”

No comments:

Post a Comment