Saturday 15 January 2022

Phase III - THE OSMONDS***

Down By The Lazy River/Business/Love Is/A Taste Of Rhythm & Blues/Yo-Yo/He's The Light Of The World/My Drum/Its You Babe/In The Rest Of My Life/Don't Panic

By the start of 1972 the youthful boy band The Osmonds had become the focus of young teen girls fan mania in the USA, and this would shortly be replicated in Britain. Phase III includes the US top five hits Yo-Yo and Down By The Lazy River. (US:10)

“The Osmonds always struck me as somewhat cool. Overall it's a pretty good listen, even the cheesy pop of Yo-Yo.”

“This album represents a musical transition for The Osmonds that explains the inclusion of songs like My Drum, an underrated rocker which hints at the musical direction in which the boys were headed.”

Phase III is good, if a little patchy, and although it showed growth from the brothers' first two MGM releases, to my mind their best work came on their next couple of studio LPs.”

“I'd have to say that the song that defines Phase III is He's The Light Of The World. It's such a strong recording.”

“A great beat and an incredible message. As devoted Christians, these guys make no apologies for their beliefs and I applaud them. In The Rest Of My Life is a truly beautiful love song. I found myself singing along as if over 30 years hadn't gone by.”

Phase III contains two of the Brothers biggest and best hits of the 70s, Yo-Yo and Down By The Lazy River are well known and deserve to be. This was their highest charting album in the US and was their best up to that point, in early 1972. Other stand out songs include: My Drum and He's The Light Of The World. I think it was the beginning of the kind of music was to come from the Osmond Brothers. It's not my favourite, but it's certainly a great album I couldn't leave out of my collection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment