Friday 7 January 2022

Deuce - RORY GALLAGHER****

Use To Be/I'm Not Awake Yet/Don't Know Where I'm Going/Maybe I Will/Whole Lot Of People/In Your Town/ Should've Learnt My Lesson/There's A Light/Out Of My Mind/Crest Of A Wave

Deuce was the follow up solo album from Irish blues-rock guitar legend Rory Gallagher. Unlike many of his contemporaries he eschewed stage theatrics concentrating instead on the music.

“Rory Gallagher had a seemingly instinctive guitar sensibility. On Deuce his passion and splendid playing more than compensate for the occasionally average song writing. Stunning slide guitar, ripping lead runs, and a good murky production tone make this worthy of any collection. Out Of My Mind is a beautiful acoustic number and Crest Of A Wave is a fine showcase.”

“A great follow-up to his first release, with ten very well written blues-rock tunes with some awesome guitar work. I don't know if I ever heard a better blues guitar player than Rory Gallagher. You can hear his soul screaming from his guitar.”

“Rory Gallagher is an excellent guitarist and nearly as good as a vocalist. But all the tracks on this record seem pretty similar, so my fascination for the music drops down a bit towards the end.”

“Deuce brings back to my mind how much Rory was a strikingly gifted artist. This album offers a very delicate form of blues-rock, played with finesse and unmatched feeling. Gallagher doesn't need to go out with the full artillery to be powerful.”

“More rockin’ than the debut, maybe not as much variation, but no matter what Rory did during his peak years it came out fantastic. One of the greatest talents in the history of blues or rock.”

“For people into guitar based music this is really an unappreciated gem of an album. Even the cover is no-nonsense in an age of frivolity and unnecessary showmanship. Gallagher always eschewed stage theatrics for the music and it shows here.”

“The dark, edginess of his first solo release have receded , and Deuce pretty much set the stage for how Gallagher's later catalogue of recordings would be structured, intermixing blistering power riffs from tracks such as Crest Of A Wave and In Your Town with plaintive blues songs such as Don't Know Where I'm Going and Should've Learned My Lesson.”

No comments:

Post a Comment