Saturday 29 February 2020

Live At Carnegie Hall - IKE & TINA TURNER***

Piece Of My Heart/Everyday People/Doin' The Tina Turner/Sweet Soul Music/Ooh Poo Pah Doo/ Honky Tonk Women/A Love Like Yours/Proud Mary/I Smell Trouble/Ike's Tune/I Want To Take You Higher/I've Been Loving You Too Long/Respect

A double live LP which records the legendary soul duo Ike and Tina Turner at the peak of their powers and popularity. It largely features their interpretations of well known covers.(US:25)

Live At Carnegie Hall displays the duo at their best....live! Even when their dozens of albums weren't selling or on the charts, they could always light it up live thanks to Tina's amazing energy and stage presence. While no recording could come close to capturing her essence, this is as close as you can get.”

“I don't find this album to be all that great, since the music and performances are pretty much sub-par. I put the blame on Ike Turner. He's a marginal guitar player at best, there are times when he hogs the spotlight. Still, Tina's performances are often excellent in spite of the sloppy band and dodgy arrangements. So I still say it's worth a listen, but just barely.”

“Based around a variegated and eclectic collection of covers that always took the originals to new, unexpected and for the most part, improved platforms. Be it the rough take on the Stones Honky Tonk Women, the inflammatory reading of Sly Stone’s I Want To Take You Higher or the emotional charge injected into Otis Redding’s I’ve Been Loving You Too Long.”

“This concert was recorded at Carnegie Hall when Ike and Tina were still together and when they were considered to be at the peak of their powers. Their selections that night were great and ‘what you hear is what you get’. I've Been Loving You Too Long is sensational. Just hear the audience lap it up, an aural delight and a rock and roll experience.”

“Ike and Tina at their very best at the peak of their popularity. This is an exciting album that makes you feel like you are at one of their shows. Ike and Tina and the Ikettes are a very exciting and explosive live act and Live At Carnegie Hall really captures that essence.”

“The energy that comes off this record is electric. I love the version of I Want To Take You Higher. Great vocals, both from Tina and The Ikettes, and great instrumentation. It'll knock your socks off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment