Sunday 13 October 2019

It's Impossible - PERRY COMO***

Its Impossible/Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head/Something/Snowbird/A House Is Not A Home/Everybody Is Looking For An Answer/El Conder Pasa/Close To You/I Think I Love You/We’ve Only Just Begun

It’s Impossible was the comeback release from the easy listening crooner Perry Como who was immensely popular during the 1950s, but fell out of fashion during the following decade. The title track single reached the top ten on both sides of the Atlantic.(US:22 UK:13)

“Perry's magic continued into the '70s with this album. It's Impossible was an instant easy-listening standard.”

It's Impossible is virtually a greatest hits easy listening album. On this one, Perry Como actually pulls it off and makes I Think I Love You into a great song.”

“Though purists would argue that Perry's voice was at its apex in the 40s and 50s, I've always preferred his style voice in the later years. This is the reason I love this album, because it showcases the more mature Como sound, with more contemporary arrangements and an easier listening style than some of his novelty songs of the 50s.”

“Perry's voice became more of a pure baritone as he aged and I defy anyone to think he was in his sixties when most of these songs were recorded. Like fine wine, Como aged impeccably. You will be put into a mellow mood by listening to him effortlessly breeze through these songs.”

“I admit to some trepidation when I saw the play list, because I was certain Perry would butcher a song like I Think I Love You, which belongs lock, stock and barrel to David Cassidy. But amazingly, Perry does a decent job here, and turns in a performance that isn't campy or silly. The rest of the songs are excellent and Perry continues to surprise through the album by putting his own calm, unique stamp on each song. A beautiful record, sung by the amazing Mr. C.”

“By the early '70s, Como was recording less frequently, and with It's Impossible he scored a surprise crossover single that topped the easy listening charts and also scaled the pop charts. The album was rushed out to take advantage of the hit, with Como quickly cutting his own versions of some contemporary favourites. Thus, this disc can be thought of as "Perry Como Sings the Hits of the Early '70s."

No comments:

Post a Comment