Monday 21 October 2019

Greatest Hits - KENNY ROGERS & THE FIRST EDITION****

Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town/But You Know I Love You/Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)/Momma's Waiting/Heed The Call/Something's Burning/Reuben James/I Believe In Music/Love Woman/Tell It All Brother

Before Kenny Rogers morphed into a mawkish country singer he enjoyed a high degree of musical credibility as the lead singer of the pop-rock group The First Edition, whose hit singles combined originality with some fine melodies. (US:57)

“Yes, there was a time when middle-of-the-road, easy listening country/gospel music was in the mainstream. Kenny Rogers and the First Edition had a number of hit singles all of which appear on this album.”

“A lot of people may not even remember Kenny Rogers with the First Edition, but the songs are great classics that I just had to listen to forever.”

“I’m not a huge Kenny Rogers fan, but I loved the song I Just Dropped It (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) ever since I was a kid in the 1960s. At first, the lyrics sound like a psychedelic mishmash, but it was actually an anti drug song, warning of the effects of a bad trip.”

“Some of these hits are among the most representative and emblematic of this ensemble with clear country influences, but his compositions are made with broad gusto, rhythms and excellent arrangements. This album still remains a classic.”

“This is the original hits album. Everyone is a winner. This is a fine collection of country, pop, easy listening and hard rockers. A must for any music fan.”

“A very rare, but great, collection from the early period of The First Edition. Reprise records did a lot of experimental stuff back then and these songs are no different. Vague anti-war messages and civil rights issues are conveyed in an intelligent way. Good stuff.”

“I loved The First Edition from the start. A lot of these songs were a part of my play list years ago. Kenny was the star but their sound and eclectic style made them a hit then. I love listening to these songs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment