Friday 27 September 2019

Osmonds - THE OSMONDS***

(Would It Make You) Think/One Bad Apple/Catch Me Baby/Lonesome They Call Me/Motown Special Medley/ Sweet & Innocent/He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother/Find 'Em Fool 'Em Forget 'Em/Most Of All/Flirtin'

The Osmond Brothers were regulars on the Andy Williams Show during 1962-67 as child artists, releasing several albums which failed to chart. In the early 1970s they transformed themselves into a pop bubblegum band appealing mainly to pre-teen girls. This self titled album heralded their change of musical direction, which would yield huge commercial dividends in the next few years. (US:14)

“I don't find this nearly as bad as their reputation would have it. Yes it's ultracommercial vocal pop fluff, but with great period flavour. And some of the tracks are downright catchy.”

“There's really nothing wrong with this album. It's slickly produced, easily palatable white-boy soul for the teenybopper masses. Granted, that may be grounds for many to become violently ill, but frankly I was expecting much worse upon first listen. It really isn’t bad at all, although to admit this publicly runs the risk of complete and utter humiliation. Honestly, you could do a lot worse.”

“Contains the #1 smash One Bad Apple and a lot of other styles of music. Country pop like Think and Most Of All and their signature theme He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.”

“Another great collection of Osmond brothers’ brilliance. Donny Osmond was great with the group and I guess they were just realising that he was very cute and sold records. Another fine effort from the brothers.”

“Great songs from guys that can actually sing. I loved hearing them again. I have loved The Osmonds since I was a teen and this is one of my favourites.”

“I love it and play it all the time. It has some really great songs and really makes you want to get up and sing and dance.”

“I had forgotten how much I loved these songs. Nobody can touch the tight harmony this family has in their music.”

No comments:

Post a Comment