Wednesday 4 September 2019

Everything Is Everything - DIANA ROSS ***

My Place/Ain't No Sad Song/Everything Is Everything/Baby Its Love/I'm Still Waiting/Doobedood'ndoobe/Come Together/The Long & Winding Road/I Love You (Call Me)/How About You/Close To You

Everything Is Everything was the second solo album release from Supremes vocalist Diana Ross, let down by some superfluous covers. Includes the excellent UK No. I hit I’m Still Waiting and the impossibly titled No.12 Doobedood’ndoobe. (US:43 UK:31)

“A given in pop music is that some songs are suitable only as filler. Here, Diana has given us nearly two sides full of it. She hasn't yet learned that not everything that comes out of her mouth should end up on an album. A case in point is hearing Diana croon Close To You, which in concert would probably be a fun surprise. As the closer here it is the opposite: predictable and painful. This and the two Beatles covers that open side two are probably the most cringe worthy moments on the album.”

“This funky little detour for the ex-Supreme is best known for I’m Still Waiting, a single which barely made a ripple in the US but managed to become one of her biggest and most enduring hits in the UK. Maybe American audiences weren’t used to hearing her sound like a vulnerable little girl, but it’s a beautiful song and Ross plays it to the hilt like the bravura actress she’d briefly become. The rest of the album is a glossy treat, albeit one padded with Beatles covers and the like.”

“Diana Ross was in her vocal prime at the time of this recording and standout tracks include the Anna Gaye and Marvin Gaye composition Baby It's Love featuring alto sax, an Aretha Franklin cover I Love You (Call Me), which earned Ross a Grammy nomination, and I'm Still Waiting, which was a huge hit in England.”

Everything Is Everything has always been my favourite Diana Ross album of all time. I am an avid fan and have everything she ever made. Even though this album did not produce a major US hit, the songs are all gems. I love her Ashford and Simpson's hits but these songs are different and show another side of Diana. I could play this album over and over. Diana in the 1970s was way ahead of her time in music and fashion. You will fall in love with this album.”

No comments:

Post a Comment