Monday 19 August 2019

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 - FRANK SINATRA****

My Way/A Man Alone/Cycles/Bein' Green/Love's Been Good To Me/I'm Not Afraid/Goin' Out Of My Head/ Something/What's Now Is Now/Star/September Of My Years

A second greatest hits collection lifted from Frank Sinatra's Reprise years. Features his best known song to modern audiences My Way, plus some less remembered tracks, some of which were not even hits. (US:88 UK:6)

"Cycles is again Frank as 'everyman', though it's hard to think he got fired from any job. Love's Been Good To Me is a wistful look at a man who is probably alone, but looking back at past loves and travels. Both belong in an ultra Sinatra collection. My Way maybe helps to sell the album. A Man Alone is also very fine, Star is reasonable enough and hard to find elsewhere. September Of My Years is an all-time misty eyed nostalgic beauty. The rest are mainly forgettable, especially Going Out Of My Head, another big hit of the time, which seems embarrassing today."

"This album covered the short period from the release of Frank Sinatra's first Reprise Greatest Hits album to his short lived 1971 retirement. There's much to muddle through here: the revered version of My Way, the lesser version of Something, some movie songs and his strange but lovely version of Bein' Green. But then you get to Cycles, originally the title track of an album of 60s covers."

"There are many fine Frank tunes on this LP, Cycles, My Way, but there are also a few glaring pitfalls, the worst of the bunch being his covers of Goin' Out Of My Head and Something. Nonetheless, this is still a good collection, and a fine companion album to Vol. 1."

"If you think you have never heard of some of these songs because the title is not familiar, that's because this collection has been (rightfully) forgotten. If you are an occasional listener looking for a Sinatra collection because you do not want to invest in the original albums, look elsewhere. There is only one essential song here, My Way. The remainder are quite good, but likely to appeal only to his biggest fans."

"The title of this album is misleading because most of these songs were not hits for Sinatra, My Way and September Of My Years being the hits. The rest are fine covers of contemporary numbers Goin' Out Of My Head, and Something. The rare recording here is Star, I have not been able to find it anywhere else, and is probably worth the price of this album alone. I really like this, very classy, very much a Sinatra song."

No comments:

Post a Comment