Sunday 17 March 2019

Greatest Hits - THE VOGUES****

Turn Around Look At Me/Earth Angel/You're The One/Green Fields/No Not Much/See That Girl/My Special Angel/Moments To Remember/Magic Town/Woman Helping Man/Five O'Clock World/Till

The Vogues were a Pennsylvania pop-AOR group who achieved consistent success in the American singles chart during the mid 1960s. Despite their melodic songs, chart success completely eluded them across the water. (US:148)

“Whether hitting it big with an original song like Five O'Clock World or remaking a classic like Special Angel, The Vogues could harmonize with the best of them.”

“I had always thought of The Vogues as being too middle of the road. But as I've gotten older and mellower in my tastes - and as I get more and more disappointed by the current offerings of pop music, I have been searching for groups from the 60s that I might have overlooked at the time. The Vogues are a classic example of this - I never fully appreciated them until now.”

“I have not been as excited about a rediscovered group in quite a long time. All of the songs are excellent. The four-part vocal harmonies and the musical production are top rate. Some of the songs are refreshingly sentimental, expressing values and feelings that might be considered to be of another, more innocent era.”

“These are outstanding mellow songs, that brought back many memories of sweetness and love. They were one of my favourite groups from back in the day.”

“The Vogues were a group that brought so many memories from my early youthful years. A must have for those listeners who appreciate romantic ballads.”

“Their harmony is unsurpassed; the lyrics are pure and emotional. This is a fantastic compilation of beautiful music and I heartily recommend it to those who are fans of close harmony groups.”

“These oldies but goodies are a welcome treat for those of us of a certain generation who can only take so much of contemporary music.”

“Those who loved to listen to oldies radio stations that played largely Sixties music were very familiar with You’re The One and Five O’Clock World, which are considered rock classics today. The Vogues were much more than a two-hit wonder, though.”

No comments:

Post a Comment