Saturday 12 September 2015

Sinatra Plus – FRANK SINATRA*****

The Birth Of The Blues/The Nearness Of You/What Makes The Sunset/I Begged Her/I’ve Got A Crush On You/ Saturday Night/The Things We Did Last Summer/I Concentrate On You/Its Only A Paper Moon/You Go To My Head/Bim Bam Baby/How Deep Is The Ocean/One For My Baby/Bess Oh Where’s My Bess/All Or Nothing At All/Spring Is Here/S’posin’/Time After Time/Stormy Weather/All Of Me/The Music Stopped/September Song/ Sweet Lorraine/Try A Little Tenderness/My Blue Heaven/When Your Lover Has Gone/I’m Glad There Is You/Ol’ Man River

Sinatra Plus was a British double album release showcasing a selection of Frank Sinatra’s recordings from the 1940s. The insatiable demand for his music meant that Frank was never out of the album charts during this period. (UK:7)

“No matter how much we enjoy the Sinatra of the Capitol years and the Las Vegas era, there is something compelling about these early tracks. Try this. Pick a forgotten song turn down the lights, turn up the volume a bit and be thankful for making this obscure bit of magic available to us.”

“In my opinion, there is that element of restraint in the way he interpreted songs compared to his passionate performances in the succeeding years from 1953. But don't get me wrong, I still consider this to be five-star material. They are truly remarkable.”

“One can easily hear the smooth phrasing and pure tonal quality of young Sinatra's voice in the 1940s, the silky sound that made 'em swoon.” “Great sounding Sinatra recordings made during what was arguably the best period of his singing career as far as the quality of his voice goes. FS could make a good song sound great and that is what he does.”

“The maturing, confident Sinatra of the '40s and early '50s reveals a resonant and deepening voice that combines with a gentleness and tenderness that had to appeal not only to bobby-soxers, but also to their mothers and older sisters who, lonely keeping the home fires burning, were waiting for husbands and lovers to return from war.”

No comments:

Post a Comment