Thursday 17 September 2015

Do The Twist With – RAY CHARLES***

Tell Me How Do You Feel/I Got A Woman/Heartbreaker/Tell The Truth/What’d I Say/Talkin’ ‘Bout You/You Be My Baby/Leave My Woman Alone/I’m Movin On

Do The Twist was a miscellany of tracks from Ray Charles’s Atlantic years, opportunistically re-packaged to exploit the popularity of the Twist dance. None of the tracks specifically relate to the Twist since they were recorded before the dance craze started. (US:11)

“A low-budget compilation of early Ray Charles material. The songs are great, but better-mastered versions and more complete packages are available on other labels.”

“I remember reading music reviews when I was pretty young and thinking that Ray Charles was in the 'adult' class...certainly nothing that would interest my more adolescent musical interests...in short, he was pretty boring...but I kept seeing his name. Then I heard What'd I Say. Oh. Now I get it. So I went looking for this song and only found it on this album, with a cover that clearly screamed, 'We want to hop on the cash bandwagon called The Twist.' I didn't own this one though it owned me as Ray Charles music has since then. If you are only venturing into the deep and wide waters of Ray Charles music, this isn't a bad place to launch your boat.”

“What can I say? Great composition, great voice, great music, great songs. What more can I say? Ray Charles was a genius.”

“Ray Charles made real music. He wasn't mass-produced and mass-commercialized like today’s artists.”

What I'd Say is an obvious classic and the song that made Ray Charles a household name.”

“The Atlantic years were where the real action was, when he found his own unmistakable voice, when he practically invented soul, when he honed his delivery as an entertainer. When he was at his best, there simply wasn't anyone who could touch him."

No comments:

Post a Comment