Thursday 2 July 2015

The Best Of Barber & Bilk Vols. I & II – CHRIS BARBER & ACKER BILK***

Vol. 1: April Showers/Doin’ The Crazy Walk/Hushabye/Everybody Loves My Baby/I Can’t Give You Anything But Love/Whistling Rufus/Cre March/Dardenella/Franklin Street Blues/Blaze Away/Easter Parade/Marching Through Georgia Vol. 2: Bugle Call Rag/Beale Street Blues/Magnolia’s Wedding Day/Petite Fleur/Bye And Bye/Louisian-I-Ay/El Abaninco/Carry Me Back/Travelling Blues/Delia Gone/Under The Golden Edge

Two budget compilations cashing in on the popularity of trad jazz at the time. First half of both is Barber, second half Bilk. The Best Of Barber & Bilk reached No. 4 in the UK with Vol. 2 making it to No. 8.

“There are so many styles and trends in jazz, and with the hip cool new crooners around today, often endorsed by our favourite TV presenters, where does one begin when choosing a jazz compilation? The best of clarinettist Acker Bilk, and trombone of Chris Barber and their bands simply does that, cleanly and efficiently.”

“This music takes me back to my youth and makes me feel so good. Isn't it strange how music can be so evocative, no matter how much time has elapsed.”

“I loved the music. The modern stuff doesn't even come close. I became a jazz fan later in life so its great to be able to collect this music now.”

“Barber and Bilk were two of the best exponents of trad jazz in the late 50s & early 60s. This collection contains some of their best remembered tunes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment