Wednesday 22 April 2015

This Is…Brenda – BRENDA LEE***

When My Dreamboat Comes Home/I Want To Be Wanted/Just A Little/Pretend/Love & Learn/Teach Me Tonight/ Hallelujah I Love Him So /Walkin’ To New Orleans/Blueberry Hill/We Three (My Echo My Shadow & Me)/Build A Big Fence/If I Didn’t Care

A quick follow up album from the sensational teen vocalist Brenda Lee proved just as popular as her debut. This Is …Brenda includes the US chart topping single I Want To Be Wanted. Unfortunately, she attempts a few too many unsuitable covers on this one. (US:4)

“Brenda's producer tailored her releases for an international audience, concentrating mainly on 'big sweeping ballads'. Although the hit single on this album, I Want To Be Wanted is a ballad, half of these tracks are uptempo rockers.”

“1960's This Is... Brenda, was significantly above the average for a pop/rock LP of the era. The orchestrated Nashville production was lush but tasteful, Lee's singing was unfailingly committed, and the material pretty good, even if there was nothing else on the album as strong as its big hit, I Want To Be Wanted.”

“The record did lean more toward pop than rock, but it was clearly neither Nashville country or straight adult pop, even if by this time in her career she was taking her shots at (and doing quite well with) standards like Teach Me Tonight. The rock & roll side of her sound was represented by Love & Learn and covers of Ray Charles' Hallelujah, I Love Her So and Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill and Walking To New Orleans, though she really did better with the ballads.”

I Want To Be Wanted makes you want to cry even when you're not sad. She gives it so much real feeling.”

“She has what I would call a knock ‘em dead voice. Wanted is so melancholy you can almost feel the heartache.”

No comments:

Post a Comment