Sunday 23 November 2014

The Blues & The Beat – HENRY MANCINI****

The Blues/Smoke Rings/Misty/Blue Flame/After Hours/Mood Indigo/The Beat/Big Noise From Winnetka/Alright Okay You Win/Tippin’ In/How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me/Sing Sing Sing

Conductor, composer and arranger Henry Mancini here released an infrequent non movie or TV themed album. The jazz tinged The Blues & The Beat is divided into slow and fast sides.

“This was one of Mancini’s best efforts in the jazz field. The dynamics and imagination of the arrangements are superb. My favourite is Mood Indigo but there are others that I like almost equally well.”

“I have enjoyed it over and over the years. It never tires; is always fresh. The musicianship is superb, and the arrangements typical Mancini.”

“The musicians used by the Maestro throughout his career were the best Hollywood had to offer. I prefer the beat selections, when you hear it you will understand why. If you have a top flight music system, let 'er rip.”

“There is not a selection here that is not fresh and exciting. The Beat and Tippin’ In are my personal favourites. Great music, great man.”

“With The Blues & The Beat, Henry Mancini delivered one of his bluesiest, jazziest records. Though it isn't an entirely successful experiment, it has its share of delightful moments, as proved by Mood Indigo and Sing Sing Sing. Mancini could never deliver straight jazz, but his easy, orchestrated approximations are enjoyable as their own entity.”

“I’ve owned this album since the 1960s and played the grooves off. It was my favourite 'soother' at the end of a hectic day...lots of low and lush brass, slow and rich harmonies...perfect for romance or just unwinding.”

“I used to only play the beat side, and loved it. Imagine my shock and delight when I listened to the blues half for virtually the first time. Wait until you hear the opening cut, with its dark bass flutes, the amazing lower register piano and the ferocious brass section that roars in. Much as I love the 'beat' half to this day I know now how much I missed the boat by skipping over 'the blues'. A great album, and essential Mancini.”

No comments:

Post a Comment