Monday 22 April 2024

Blondes Have More Fun - ROD STEWART***

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy/Dirty Weekend/Ain't Love A Bitch/The Best Days Of My Life/Is That The Thanks I Get/ Attractive Female Wanted/Blondes (Have More Fun)/Last Summer/Standin' In The Shadows Of Love/Scarred & Scared

Rod Stewart built his reputation as a good time rock vocalist with The Faces. With Blondes Have More Fun he sells out to disco much to the dismay of critics. Features the US and UK No. 1 hit Da Ya Think I’m Sexy. (US:1 UK:3)

“Stylistically Blondes Have More Fun is all over the map. You've got disco, reggae, rock 'n' roll, country-rock and I'm sure I've missed a few genres. The impression I get was that Rod had a hit on his hands and he needed more songs to fill up the rest of the album.”

Blondes Have More Fun is a perfect example of the shallow, hedonistic, and frankly embarrassing attitudes of the late 70s in general, and the disco era in particular. This album has all the depth of a thimble. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy is all the proof you need, but there are even more blatant examples of excess further into the album.”

“Rod Stewart goes disco, and it's really bad. I used to hate Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, but it's the promised land compared to the rest of this vain blunder of an album. It's the only track really worth giving a chance. As for the rest of the tracks, reading along to the lyrics while listening is good for a laugh.”

“This was not a good career move. What a change from the glory days of the early 1970s for Rod Stewart. Change is good, but not this kind of change.”

“Stewart goes disco, how embarrassing. This was the album that began to erode all the hard-earned credibility he had built up in the late 60s and early 70s.”

“As one of the most appalling sell-outs in music history, Da Ya Think I'm Sexy also ranks as one of the worst songs of the dreaded disco era of the late 70s. From here Rod Stewart headed rapidly downhill. This album is of significance only in that it documents this slide.”

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy is the only disco song on the album, and while the rest of it isn't vintage Rod Stewart music, it's not bad. In fact there are some songs that are high quality. Also, if you take the big hit for what it is, it is a catchy piece of music.”

No comments:

Post a Comment