Thursday 19 October 2023

Greatest Hits - HELEN REDDY****

I Am Woman/I Just Don't Know How To Love Him/Leave Me Alone(Ruby Red Dress)/Delta Dawn/You & Me Against The World/Angie Baby/Emotion/Keep On Singing/Peaceful/Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady

The singer Helen Reddy enjoyed considerable popularity in the USA during the early 1970s. She had a distinctive voice and is best known for her barnstorming feminist anthem I Am Woman. (US:5 UK:5)

“Her voice was pleasant, her songs were usually pleasant, the arrangements were pleasant, even cover pics were pleasant. But it seems that there are too many pleasant adjectives for this artist.”

“Why has history forgotten this woman? I remember one critic claiming that he kept a picture of her on his wall after I Am Woman came out. He also sadly recalled taking it down after hearing some of her lesser later efforts; but, me, I dig Angie Baby for its weirdness, and generally like the comforting tone of her voice.”

“These songs were a nice representation of Reddy's best up to 1975 (and since by all accounts). Overly dramatic for sure, but she had a decent voice for this type of material.”

“During the explosive early days of the women's liberation movement, this dynamic singer dived head first into the controversy, becoming an outspoken advocate on this emotionally charged issue. However, no matter what anyone thought of her politics, no one could deny that Helen Reddy was a superior songstress, possessing a vibrant voice and a dynamic delivery. Her music remains as magical today as the day it first hit the airwaves.”

“Helen Reddy is someone I remember from my teens. Her song I Am Woman won my heart, and became the anthem of the feminist movement, and I still like it today. It's a song about having strong self-esteem and taking your place in the world.”

“It is a rare thing these days to turn on the radio and hear actual talent. More and more ‘singers’ are cropping up every day, but none have that rare ability to sing a song so powerfully and yet so naturally. I think that Helen Reddy is probably one of the very few left that have that kind of talent.”

“Helen Reddy was not a dynamic influence on popular music. She was a barely passable singer with some interesting footnotes to early 70s pop. Some of these songs may bring back memories but let's not pass them off as anything but pop fluff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment