Saturday 2 September 2023

Greatest Hits - DAWN****

Tie A Yellow Ribbon/Say Has Anyone Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose/You're A Lady/Who's In The Strawberry Patch With Sally/You Say The Sweetest Things/Steppin' Out I'm Gonna Boogie Tonight/Candida/Knock Three Times/What Are You Doing Sunday/Summer Sand/Look In My Eyes Pretty Woman

Dawn were a lightweight vocal trio popular in both the US and UK in the early 1970s. They were created by Tony Orlando who enjoyed a brief solo career about a decade earlier. Tie A Yellow Ribbon was one of the biggest British hits of the Seventies. (US:16)

“Tony Orlando and Dawn were and are quintessential to the early seventies. I still get annoyed when people either rubbish or try to apologise for the seventies. We were there, it all happened and it was good.”

“I grew up in the 70s and loved this trio. My son was making fun of me when I bought this but I see him singing along when he thinks I'm not looking. Brings back memories.”

“Great album and great songs that I sang to in my youth. It also brings back memories of their television show that we watched as a family every week. You will definitely find yourself singing along before too long.”

“Dawn were the masters of melodic vocal pop and they really shine on their hits, especially Knock Three Times which is a brilliant piece of power pop. Overall, this album takes one back to a happier, more innocent era that evokes pleasant memories.”

“Tony Orlando was in his own words the first casualty of the British Invasion. Seeing changes in the air he simply got out of the recording business until the day he was asked to demo a song called Candida and the credits on the single read Dawn. This gave Orlando a second career which reached a peak with Tie A Yellow Ribbon. This music is a revival of sunshine pop and like anything successful has been much maligned by rock critics.”

No comments:

Post a Comment