Tuesday 15 August 2023

I'll Play For You - SEALS & CROFTS***

I'll Play For You/Golden Rainbow/Castles In The Sand/Blue Bonnet Nation/Ugly City/Wayland The Rabbit/Freaks Fret/Truth Is But A Woman/Fire & Vengeance

The soft rock duo Seals & Crofts enjoyed considerable popularity in the States during the early 1970s although by the time of I’ll Play For You they had begun to fade a little. Nevertheless the title track single reached the US top 20. (US:30)

“I'd rate this release up there with Diamond Girl. It's packed full of melodic folk/pop tracks of various tempos. I'll Play For You is the best known track but many others make good listening.”

I'll Play For You was very poppy but it was also quite diverse. From the emotional song-writer styled ballad Wayland The Rabbit, to the Latin grooved Freak's Fret, Seals and Crofts venture into several different music genres that really work on this album.”

“On Wayland The Rabbit the orchestral introduction will give you goose bumps, and after the mostly acoustical main part of the song, the orchestra comes back and builds a beautiful ending. The words and meaning are moving as well. The other songs are excellent, too. It was one of the few albums that I would play all the way through without skipping.”

I'll Play For You contains two hit singles, Castles In The Sand and the title track. Besides these two great tunes, this record has my all-time favourite Seals & Crofts, song on it Wayland The Rabbit. With very pretty orchestration, heartfelt singing and harmonies, and light brilliant acoustic guitars, the duo deliver their shining moment.”

“Wayland is one of the most deeply spiritual and moving pieces I have ever heard. This vintage recording demonstrates why this pair rocketed to fame. Absolute gold.”

No comments:

Post a Comment