Sunday 28 May 2023

If You Love Me Let Me Know - OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN****

If You Love Me Let Me Know/Mary Skeffington/Country Girl/I Honestly Love You/Free The People/The River's Too Wide/Home Ain't Home Anymore/God Only Knows/Changes/You Ain't Got The Right

If You Love Me Let Me Know heralded the immensely successful transition of Olivia Newton-John from pop singer to country star. This phase would only last a few years before she returned to pop. Featured here are the US No.1 I Honestly Love You and the No. 5 title track. (US:1)

If You Love Me Let Me Know is probably the most interesting of Olivia Newton-John's country albums (or actually any of her pre-pop records), in part because it follows the spirit of her Australian records, pleasant selections given interesting arrangements that don't come close to real country but make for enjoyable listening. The title track and I Honestly Love You are definite winners, but the rest of the album has its moments.”

“I love to hear the country Olivia Newton John. This record was my first love of country music. There is something about her voice I have never found elsewhere, the same feeling of warm fuzziness as she does for me. It is something only she can do. This album is definitely from the 70s, with the way the background singers sing. Anyone who has lived though that era knows what I mean.”

“Every song is great. To this day I still feel this is her best album. If an Olivia Newton-John collection is planned, this should be the first purchase. All the tracks are very good. Olivia's ability to blend country with pop is very well represented.”

“Of Olivia's music that I know, these songs are her best. Not a bad song on the album. It is a shame it is not more readily available to new listeners.”

“This is my favourite Olivia LP, bar none. Every song is good. The highlight is of course Olivia's first US number one hit, I Honestly Love You. This song's lyrics are so strong and sad, and her vocals are so sensitive and caring, that it is easily the finest song she has ever recorded. But it is not a happy song.”

“Olivia Newton-John broke through in a big way with this album which quickly established her as a superstar to be reckoned with. It works on many levels, and is a strong chapter in Olivia's catalogue.”

No comments:

Post a Comment