Tuesday 9 August 2022

Round 2 - THE STYLISTICS****

I'm Stone In Love With You/If You Don't Watch Out/You & Me/Its Too Late/Children Of The Night/You'll Never Get To Heaven/Break Up To Make Up/Peek-A-Boo/You're As Right As Rain/Pieces

As the title suggests Round 2 was the second offering from the harmony soul group The Stylistics. They were a hit making machine in the mid 1970s as shown by the quality top ten songs I’m Stone In Love With You and Break Up To Make Up. (US:32)

“Not as many hits as their debut but still a respectable follow up nonetheless. There are two classics on here, I'm Stone In Love With You and Break Up To Make Up. The album cuts on here are good, if not better quality, than those on the debut, particularly Children Of The Night which sticks out because it's one of the few songs that doesn't deal with love.”

“The main reason why I purchased this album was for the ever lovely ballad You’re As Right As Rain. This is one of the best ballads they ever did. The boys really poured out their silky soul harmonies on it.”

“They released some professional soul music in the early 70s. Russell Thompkins has one of the most distinctive voices in soul music and he could hit some notes that few can reach. I'm Stone In Love With You was one of their best songs and Break Up To Make Up is another great tune.”

“They are one of the best groups around, I saw them in person at a club I worked at, there was standing room only. They are and will continue to be legends in the music industry. I would buy any of their albums and recommend this to anyone who likes quality music.”

“These guys just never disappoint. I purchased this the other day and have kept it playing through the weekend. I already know the hits, so I'm always curious as to what the other songs are like. I really enjoyed them; great stuff from a group that should be more appreciated today and not seen as just an oldies group.”

“Once again Russell and the crew comes through. I got everything these boys made. You're As Right As Rain and Peek A Boo are my favourites on the album. No matter what I listen to of today's music, I always wind up coming back to that sweet falsetto of Russell. This LP showcases their wonderful, soulful magic. It represents the golden age of R & B.”

No comments:

Post a Comment