Sunday 13 February 2022

I Capricorn - SHIRLEY BASSEY***

I Capricorn/The Look Of Love/The Way A Woman Loves/Love/Where Am I Going/I've Never Been A Woman Before/For All We Know/The Greatest Performance Of My Life/Where Is Love/Losing My Mind/One Less Bell To Answer/Lost & Lonely

Although her popularity began in the late 1950s, powerful vocalist Shirley Bassey most consistently successful period for album sales was during the 1970s, as exemplified by the well regarded I Capricorn. (US:94 UK:13)

“One of Shirley Bassey's finest albums from the 1970s. She has an unbelievable voice and a unique artistry that defies description.”

“The LP kicks off with the haunting title song, which features her voice in all its glory. It then moves into her unique take on the Bacharach/David gem The Look Of Love. Ordinarily rendered as a sultry ballad, Bassey cranks up the brass and the bass, and gives it the James Bond Theme treatment. She is wistful on the lilting Where Is Love from Oliver. Neither the Bronx nor Washington Square could provide an escape from the enormity of her hyper-emotional reading of Where Am I Going from Sweet Charity.”

“I Capricorn opens this stunning collection with all of the haunting brilliance that is typical of a great Bassey performance in an absolutely magical musical surrounding.”

“A winning sensual The Look Of Love and a hauntingly beautiful The Way A Woman Loves find Shirley in peak form, weaving vocal magic in glorious settings. John Lennon"s Love is soft and warm while the classic Where Am I Going becomes a powerful anthem. Beautiful and passionate I've Never Been A Woman Before is mesmerizing while the theme song For All We Know is definitive.”

“She is the greatest singer and performer of all time. This is one of many LPs that are par excellence. She was born to sing and only too many superlatives to mention can describe this lady.”

“I truly love this album. There is no one that sings with such raw, breathless emotion like Shirley Bassey. The woman takes a song, any song, and makes it her own. Good songs combined with Bassey’s soaring vocals make every song on this album simply phenomenal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment