Wednesday 28 November 2018

Get Together With – ANDY WILLIAMS***

My Cherie Amour/You Are/Yesterday When I Was Young/Love Them From Romeo & Juliet/Quentin’s Theme/ Good Morning Starshine/Sweet Caroline/Get Together/More Today Than Yesterday/Put A Little Love In Your Heart/Aquarius-Let The Sun Shine In

Andy Williams ended the sixties with Get Together, an album that features recent pop covers in an unconvincing attempt to make him appear a little more hip to the younger generation. (US:27 UK:13)

“I grew up listening to this album. The music is timeless and Andy's voice is at its best. It fills my soul, lifts my spirits, and takes me back to my childhood in all ways that are good.”

“In 1969 Andy Williams was in the midst of a transition. He turned 40 that year and he was back on NBC with a new show. No longer content to be the tuxedo or sweater clad champion of easy listening, a new Andy Williams emerged. This was a newer, cooler and hipper Andy. Take a listen to this classic album, and get to know a newer view of Andy Williams, a really cool view indeed.”

“His style, his voice, well, it never failed to make me happy or soothe my frayed nerves from the work day. Now whenever I travel long distance in my car, Andy is right there beside me, making the journey so much easier.”

“The Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet is done with great sensitivity; and Good Morning Starshine shows Andy really making the transition from the early 60s to what was then more current music, this time from the musical Hair. Sweet Caroline is one of my very favourites on this LP; Andy does this beautifully and Get Together is yet another terrific cover of a song more hip and happening than Andy had previously performed. Similarly, More Today Than Yesterday, Put A Little Love In Your Heart and still more music from Hair - Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In end the album in a way that leaves me wanting more.”

Get Together was a typical Andy Williams album of the time, one on which he simply listened to what was on the radio in the spring of 1969 and picked out some tunes he liked -- Stevie Wonder, Neil Diamond, a couple of songs from the musical Hair that had become pop hits. He wasn't particularly effective on such material.”

No comments:

Post a Comment