Monday 31 August 2015

Ella In Hollywood – ELLA FITZGERALD****

This Could Be The Start Of Something Big/I’ve Got The World On A String/You’re Driving Me Crazy/Just In Time/It Might As Well Be Spring/Take The A Train/Stairway To The Stars/Mr Paganini/Satin Doll/Blue Moon/Baby Won’t You Please Come Home/Air Mail Special

With Ella In Hollywood Ella Fitzgerald turns to the movies for inspiration on this well received album of many familiar songs, performed in a variety of styles. (US:35)

“Of all the Ella Fitzgerald albums I have, Ella In Hollywood is probably the one I listen to the most. Her talent is magnified by the diversity of the songs she sings on this album. I think it's one of her very best.”

“A great collection of Ella Fitzgerald songs. Take The A Train is one of the best renditions ever of this song. Everything you've heard about in other Ella Fitzgerald live performances are in this recording. Improvising, scat, Ella's version of a popular song of the time etc. My personal favourite Ella Fitzgerald album.”

“The scatting is out of this world on Take The A Train and Airmail Special which is probably one of the fastest scats I have heard. There is an unusual Latin style version of Blue Moon in which Ella makes up the words to alert the audience that she's not afraid to sing a song from the hit parade. This LP is just as entertaining as the Berlin concert the year before, and I can't understand why it's not so well known.”

“This is Ella at her best - in concert, vibrant, sassy, the ultimate in jazz vocals. More than worth the money.”

“I grew up with my parents playing this record and had almost forgotten how many of songs were just languishing in my memory. What a treat.” “This is a fabulous compilation of songs - Ella sounds superb. Some of Ella's biggest hits and after you listen, you'll know why. I absolutely love this album and if you love Ella Fitzgerald and great jazz standards, you'll love this too.”

“Doesn't matter how many other live Ella's you have this one is a must. There will never be another like her."

No comments:

Post a Comment